Southern Bank and Trust Company was originally chartered as the Bank of Mount Olive on January 29, 1901. The bank was founded by a group of local businessmen who wanted a locally owned bank based in the community. The Bank officially began operations at 102 S. Center Street, Mount Olive with one employee and $10,000 in total assets.
As it continued to slowly grow in the 50's and 60's, management within the bank realized that its name may not be well received in other communities. So in 1967, the name was changed to Southern Bank and Trust Company. Southern has continued to grow organically, as well as through the acquisitions of other financial institutions, through purchases of individual branches from other institutions, and through the establishment of de novo branches.
The bank currently has over $2.5 billion in total assets and operates over 60 branches in North Carolina and Virginia.
HOW WE DO BUSINESS
• We put safety and stability first. We do this through long-term perspective, sound credit practices and prudent management of our assets. This is how we’ve earned our customers’ trust for more than a century.
• We work with integrity, applying the highest professional ethics in all circumstances. We do the right thing.
• We build full financial relationships with our customers by gaining an understanding of their needs and goals and applying our knowledge, expertise and resources to provide solutions now and in the long term.
• We provide excellent service through accuracy, courtesy, responsiveness and partnership - we do it right.
• We hire the best talent in our local markets and value the contributions of each of our employees.
• We are good corporate citizens, helping to build the communities we share.
WHY WE EXIST
Our Vision: To be the bank of preference by delivering a distinctive banking experience and unsurpassed dedication to our customers and communities.