Cancer. Diabetes. Alzheimer’s. Heart Disease. Parkinson’s.
The Jackson Laboratory (JAX) leads the search to cure diseases rooted in our DNA.
We are an NCI-designated Cancer Center since 1983 and an independent 501(c)3 nonprofit organization with over 85 years of experience in genetics and genomics research. JAX blends the brightest minds with state-of-the-art resources to accelerate discovery.
Areas of Discovery (52 Principal Investigators, >250 Ph.D.s, M.D.s, and D.V.M.s):
• Cancer: We are a National Cancer Institute designated Cancer Center focusing on cancer initiation, progression, prevention and therapies.
• Developmental/reproductive biology: birth defects, Down syndrome, osteoporosis, fertility
• Immunology: HIV-AIDS, anemia, autoimmunity, cancer immunology, immune disorders, lupus, transplant rejection
• Metabolic diseases: atherosclerosis, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, obesity, microbiome
• Neurobiology: blindness, Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, deafness, epilepsy, glaucoma, macular degeneration, neurodegenerative diseases
• Neurobehavioral disorders: autism, addiction, depression
Supporting Global Research:
• The JAX Mouse Repository and Scientific Services are among the premier resources available for biomedical research.
• 2.5 million JAX® Mice are distributed annually to more than 900 institutions in 56 countries.
Committed to Education:
• Summer Student Program (undergrad & high school)
• Teaching the Genome Generation Short Course
• Ph.D. programs: U. Maine, Tufts University and U. Connecticut
• Courses, Conferences and Workshops